About
Events
Views of the lake
History
Conowingo Dam
Old Conowingo Bridge
Glen Cove Marina
Old Post Cards
Internet Links
Services
Contact Us
e-mail me

Holtwood Dam
Holtwood Dam Power House

Holtwood Dam Construction
Holtwood Dam Construction

Holtwood Dam Construction
Holtwood Dam Power House construction

Holtwood Dam Power House
Holtwood Dam Power House Photos

Two story Cabin located on Sicily/Baker Island-See map on Islands below location #2. This photo was taken before the "Big Shot of 1907".

Rock formation blasted in the "Big Shot of 1907"

Photo of the "Big Shot of 1907". In 1907 the Railroad tracks were being raised to higher ground. To do this blasting was required. This was done at location #6 on the Island Map below. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.

Another view of the "Big Shot of 1907" blast. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.

Photo of the two story Cabin on Sicily/Baker Island after the "Big Shot of 1907" Blast. Note that the first floor is gone and that there are holes in the roof. Only the second floor remains. Thanks to Jay Mackley for the photo.

Photo of "Old Hotel" on the Lancaster side at the Islands. See #4&5 on the Island Map. When the Railroad raised the railroad tracks in 1907 they moved the hotel across the tracks to this location. Photo from Jay Mackley.

A rear view of the "Old Hotel" at location #4&5 on the Island map. Note the old foundation of the hotel to the right of the railroad tracks. The Railroad moved the Hotel across the tracks when the tracks were relocated. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.

Island Location Map for photos.

Details of Locks 12 & 13 On the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal.

Flintville Rd. was moved to higher ground with the coming of the Conowingo Lake. The "Old Red Covered Bridge" over Broad Creek had to be destroyed as a result. In Oct.1927 the New Flintville Rd. "Steel Bridge" was completed. The attached photo shows the Steel Bridge when it was first completed BEFORE the Conowingo Lake was filled. Please note the depth of the valley back then. Also note that under the right side of the bridge you will see the old Flintville Rd. Behind the bridge on the right you will also see the roof of one of the Whiteford Flint Mill buildings. In 1997 the Steel Bridge was destroyed and replaced with the bridge we have today. Photo was supplied by the Historical Society of Harford County,Inc.

Overview of different land grants/holdings that were in the Broad Creek Valley.

  

Susquehanna Canal Aqueduct OVER Broad Creek

Layout of the Broad Creek area of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal. Upper right would be the mouth of Broad Creek as we see it today. Please note the Dam across this area with a canal lock. The dam and lock were owned by the Trenton Flint and Spar Company. It was used to ship product produced at their flint mill located further up Broad Creek. Also note on the map the area where Broad Creek entered into the Susquehanna River. In that area the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal crossed "over" Broad Creek via an aqueduct. Drawing by Richard Sherrill, The Historical Society of Harford County.

  

  



 


|About| |Events| |Views of the lake| |History| |Conowingo Dam| |Old Conowingo Bridge| |Glen Cove Marina| |Old Post Cards| |Internet Links| |Services| |Contact Us|